Luhansk has several interesting tourist attractions including historical monuments, cultural monuments, squares, and memorial places:
Kliment Voroshilov Statue
Kliment Voroshilov (February 4, 1881 – December 2, 1969) was a Soviet military commander and politician very close to Stalin, the birth place of Voroshilov was Luhansk which was renamed Voroshilovgrad in 1935, in 1958 it was renamed Luhansk, again reverted to Voroshilovgrad from 1970 to 1990, finally the city name was returned to Luhansk. Voroshilov was a member of the Supreme Soviet from 1937; however his statue remains as a tourist attraction in Luhansk.
This library was founded in 1897 as a free of charge public library, The library is formally known as the Lugansk Regional Universal Scientific Library named after Maxim Gorky. At the beginning the library had only 2502 books. In
1938, the number of books of the library was 125000. At the end of 1965, the Library was moved to the Sovietskaya street where is situated until now. The total number of books for January, 2009 was 1 087113 books.
Lugansk Regional Universal Scientific Library named after Maxim Gorky
Address: 91000 Lugansk, Sovietskaya str., 78
Telephone: +38 (0642) 537 321
The Vladimir Dahl Memorial House-Museum
The museum was founded in 1976 to commemorate the life and work of the great Vladimir Ivanovich Dahl (transliterated as Dal), a well-known Russian scientist and ethnographer and author of "Thesaurus of the Modern Great Russian Language", his pen name was "Cossack of Luhansk". He became one of the closest friends of Alexander Pushkin. UNESCO declared the year 2000 The International Year of Vladimir Dahl. The entrance fee to the museum is symbolic; visitors can also offer donations for the development of the museum.
Address: 12 Dal Street, Luhansk 91000
Telephone: +38 (0642) 524 155
St. Peter and St. Paul's Cathedral
St. Peter and St. Paul's Cathedral is one of the most interesting cathedrals in Luhansk together with the St. Vladimir Cathedral. The Cathedral was built in the middle of the 19th century; it was the only Orthodox cathedral that survived the atheist campaign of the Soviet Period, in the thirties the cathedral was turned into a cinema and a dance club, today the Cathedral looks well restored. The Cathedral houses the beautiful Icon of the Most Holy Mother of God.
Address: Stone Ford District Luhansk, Ukraine
Bard of Ukraine
The Bard of Ukraine, Taras Shevchenko (1814-1861) was a famous Ukrainian national writer, poet, an artist and a fighter for the independence of Ukraine. The Taras Shevchenko Monument in Luhansk is a 5-meter bronze figure plus granite post, it was erected in May 1988, and it was an artwork by Ivan Chumak. Many concerts and cultural events are held in front the statue.
Address: Heroes Square facing Sovetskaya Street Luhansk
Chernobyl Memorial was built in honour of the victims of the Chernobyl Nuclear reactor disaster in 1986; it is located at Red Square. The original name of the Red Square was Cathedral Square, in 1920 the square was renamed by the Bolsheviks to imitate the central square in Moscow, there was St. Nicholas Cathedral in this square, unfortunately the Cathedral was destroyed during the atheist campaign during soviet times. Visiting the Red Square you will see also the St. George's Chapel.
Heroes Square Luhansk
The formal name of the square is Great Patriotic War Heroes Square. Heroes Square is filled with monuments and names of the 167 soldiers and officers that fought in the Second World War who were born in Luhansk. It is also home of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier; you will see also the Heroes Obelisk. The monument to Taras Shevchenko (1814-1861), the Bard of Ukraine is located near in Sovetskaya Street.
Mergeleva Ridge is the site of an Copper Age temple and burial complex, it is believed the site was build about 4000 BC. Mergeleva Ridge is located near Perevalsk in Luhansk oblast, about 30 km to the city of Luhansk. It was discovered in 2004 by school children participating in an archaeology camp.