Ukraine travel guide

UKRAINE TRAVEL

YOUR TRAVEL GUIDE TO UKRAINE

Luhansk Travel Guide

Luhansk History

Luhansk History The city was founded in 1795, when the Russian imperial government leaded by the Tsarina Ekaterina the Second entrusted the Scottish foundry engineer Charles Gascoigne to build an iron factory there in order to supply weaponry to the Black Sea fleet, the place became quickly as a centre of metallurgy for the Russian Empire.

By the 1830s most of the people working in Luhansk were from Ukrainians, Russians, Poles, Belarusians, Tatars, and Jews roots, originally each ethnic group tried to keep their own lifestyle, but progressively their traditions and customs merged forming the particular flavour which the Luhansk people has.

Because of its excellent economic position, Luhansk achieves the status of district city in 1882.

The city experienced rapid growth in the second half of the 19th century with the development of the Donets Coal Basin. In 1896 a Belgian company established the largest steam-engine plant in the Russian Empire there.

The city's population grew from 20,400 in 1897 to 34,000 in 1904 and 68,000 in 1914.

Luhansk is perhaps one of the few cities in the world that was renamed four times within 55 years. During the soviet times the city was called Voroshilovgrad in tribute of the Soviet military commander Kliment Voroshilov, a native of Luhansk, exactly since November 5, 1935, but on March 5, 1958, the old name Luhansk was reinstated until 1969. On January 5, 1970, after Voroshilov dead, the name of the city was changed again to Voroshilovgrad. On May 4, 1990, a decree of the Ukrainian SSR renamed again the city with its original name.

Today Luhansk is one of the major industrial centres of Ukraine as well as an important railway and highway junction.


About us | Contact us | Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Legal Terms

© 2009 - 2017 - All Rights Reserved