The Potemkin Stairs (Odessa Stairs or Primorsky Stairs) was the site of the famous carriage scene in the Sergey Eisenstein's 1925 silent movie "Battleship Potemkin". The impressive monument has 192 stairs arranged in ten flights, the difference between the highest (13.4 m) and the lowest (21.6 m) flights produces the optical illusion of greater length than it is in reality enhancing the grandeur of the structure.
It was built from 1837 through 1841, originally the stairs had 200 steps; eight lower steps were buried when the port was extended. The stairs are a formal entrance into the city from the direction of the sea, at the bottom of the steps is the city's brand new passenger ship terminal and convention centre.
Odessa Opera and Ballet Theater
The building was originally built in 1809 but unfortunately the theatre was burned down in 1873. Then it was decided to be built again, the opening of the new Opera House took place on October 1887. The interior of the theatre is richly decorated in the Italian baroque style blended with elements of the Italian Renaissance and French rococo, with no doubts the most beautiful part of the theatre is the main hall. There is an impressive view platform on the roof of the building from which the whole city could be observed.
The theatre hosted concerts conducted by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky and ballets featuring Anna Pavlova. Nowadays, performances usually start at 07:00 pm and tickets can be bought at the main door of the building, tickets are cheap.
Odessa Opera and Ballet Theater
Address: Tchaikovsry Street 1, Odessa 65000
Telephone: +380 482 220152
Privoz Market is located in the city centre, about 5 minutes on foot from Odessa central railway station. It is one of the biggest farmer’s markets in the world rivalling with those of Istanbul and Mexico City. Privoz is a sort of a city inside the city; the life of the market looks like a big anthill, all people is busy choosing, tasting and bargaining. In Privoz Market you can feel the true nature of Odessites. Privoz is famous for the massive array of products offered, it is impossible to go away from there without buying anything.
Address: Privoznaya St, Odessa, Ukraine
Odessa catacombs are hundred of kilometres of underground tunnels created during the construction of the city over 200 years ago. The catacombs served as a base for Ukrainian partisans during the German and Romanian occupation in the World War II.
Currently it is a labyrinth of an estimated of 2,500 kilometres with hundreds of entrances, exits, caves, and tunnels. There is no precise map of this tunnel system. Today, there is a Museum dedicated to the Partisan Glory located in the shade of the underground vault where conditions of partisan camp are recreated.
Located in the heart of Odessa, the street is named after Jose De Ribas, a Russian Imperial Navy admiral who helped build the city. A stroll trough Deribasovskaya Street is a pleasure thank to its magnificent architecture, big shady linden trees, and numerous cafes and restaurants. The street has been features several times in films, books, and songs.
Next to the Deribasovskaya Street is Odessa’s first park founded by de Ribas brothers with its magnificent fountain, old summerhouse and a sculpture of lions and lioness.
Primorsky Boulevard is located directly atop of Potemkin Steps along the sea line; it is one of the most picturesque areas in Odessa with its chestnut trees, shady benches and magnificent sea views. Primorsky Boulevard has many interesting monuments and historic landmarks such as the former stock exchange, the Vorontsov Palace, Londonskaya Hotel, and a monument to Duc de Richelieu, one of the founders of Odessa
South of Primorsky Boulevard is located the street Vorontsovsky where you will fond a old building which seems to be only a façade, it is of course an optical illusion.
The museum is dedicated to the Russian poet Alexander Pushkin, actually it is the place where the famous writer lived in 1823 during thirteen months, at that time the building was the place of the Hotel de Nord. The museum displays old pictures of Pushkin in Odessa, rare editions of works by Pushkin's lifetime, original manuscripts from Pushkin's writings, and a copy of a page from his masterpiece “Eugene Onegin”.
Address: Pushkinskaya, 13
Telephone: +380 (48) 225 1034
This interesting sculptural ensemble marks the entrance to Odessa’s Archaeological Museum; it is a replica of the original work of art created by the sculptors Agesander, Athenodoros and Polydorus which now is located in the Vatican. It depicts Laocoon and his two sons Antiphantes and Thymbraeus being stifled by huge snakes.