Holubtsi are cooked cabbage rolls stuffed with rice, carrots and meat and often with a thin tomato sauce. |
- 1 Pound ground beef
- 3/4 Cup cooked rice
- 1/2 Cup finely chopped onion
- 1 Egg
- 2 Teaspoon salt
- 1 Teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 Cup milk
- 8 Ounces tomato sauce
- 14.5 Ounces diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 Tablespoon sugar
- 2 Tablespoon vinegar
- 1/2 Cup water
- 2 Tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 1/4 cup cold water
- Drop cabbage leaves into boiling salted water and cover and cook for 3 minutes.
- Drain well.
- For filling, combine ground beef, rice, onion, egg, salt, pepper, and milk.
- Mix well and divide into 12 portions.
- Place a portion into the centre of each cabbage leaf.
- Roll leaf around filling and fasten with a wooden toothpick.
- Place in a baking plate.
- For sauce, combine tomato sauce, tomatoes, sugar, vinegar, and 1/2 cup of water and pour over cabbage rolls.
- Bake covered in a preheated 350 degree oven 40 to 45 minutes.
- Remove rolls and remove toothpicks.
- Place pot with juices over medium heat or transfer the juices to a saucepan and place over heat and mix cornstarch and water mixture into the sauce, bring to a boil and cook until thickened.
Click on the recipe you want to see: