- 16 ounces of vegetable broth
- 1 Large egg
- 1 Cup Buckwheat groats
- Pat of butter
- Freshly ground pepper
- Pour the broth into a large sauce pot.
- Place the sauce pot on the stove and turn the burner to high.
- Bring the broth to a rolling boil.
- Crack the egg into a bowl while you are waiting for the broth to boil.
- Beat the egg with a wire whisk until it is slightly frothy.
- Place the buckwheat groats in a large frying pot.
- Cook the groats over low heat, stirring constantly.
- Cook the groats until they are dry and golden.
- Do not leave the kasha unattended, as it can burn easily.
- Dump the browned kasha into the boiling vegetable broth.
- Add the pat of butter and a pinch of salt.
- Reduce the heat on the burner to medium or medium-high.
- Let the kasha come to a simmer.
- Put a lid on the pot and simmer the cereal for 10 minutes.
- Remove the kasha from the burner.
- Let the cereal sit covered for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle freshly ground pepper and salt over individual servings of the kasha.
Click on the recipe you want to see: