- 1 ½ Cup shelled wheat berries
- ¼ Teaspoon salt
- ¼ Cup all-purpose flour
- ½ Cup sliced almonds
- ½ Teaspoon ground cinnamon or to taste
- 3/4 Cup sugar or to taste
- 3/4 Cup golden raisins
- 2 Tablespoon dark raisins
- 7 Tablespoon blanched almonds
- Wash the wheat berries in a sieve under hot running water for about 3 minutes, or until the water runs clear.
- Mix 4 1/2 cup water and the salt in a heavy pan and bring it to a boil.
- Add the wheat berries and bring it back to a boil.
- Reduce heat, skim any foam and simmer, uncovered, for 35 to 40 minutes or until the water is absorbed and the grains are tender.
- Rinse the berries in a sieve under cold running water for about 1 minute or until most of the starch is rinsed off.
- Set aside; toast the flour and almonds in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, stirring continuously with a wooden spoon and shaking the saucepan occasionally, for about 5 minutes, or till the flour is golden and the almonds are lightly toasted.
- Move the mixture to a large bowl, and add the cinnamon, sugar and golden raisins, and mix until well blended.
- Mix in the wheat berries.
- Taste and adjust the cinnamon and sugar.
- Transfer to a serving sink. If desired, garnish by arranging the dark raisins.
Click on the recipe you want to see: