The Panorama Museum
Panorama Museum is located in the historical park on Malakhov Hill not far from the centre of the town; it was opened on May 14, 1905 to mark the 50th anniversary of Sevastopol defence during Crimean War. The original round building with a dome, crown with rotunda was erected under the project of the military engineer O Enberg and architect V Feldman. The building itself is 36 meters high and 36 meters in diameter.
The Panorama keeps a great panoramic painting (115 meters long and 14 meters high) which depicts the first Sevastopol assault during Crimean War between Russia and Ottoman Empire-Britain-France; spectators walk around this interior as though they are standing on the hill observing the action. The original work of art was created by the Russian artist Franz Roubaud (15 June 1856 - 13 March 1928), master painting huge panoramas of historical battles. During World War II, the building and the panorama were nearly destroyed, after war the panorama was restored by soviet painters as F. Roubaud "Rubo" did.
You can hire an audio-guide in English or French. There are also museum of Crimean war objects and uniforms.
There are two St. Vladimir Cathedrals in Sevastopol, the first is located on the Central Hill about 10 minutes from the city centre, this Cathedral was built in Byzantine style in the 19th century; during the Crimean war all works were interrupted and continued only in 1858. The Cathedral is the burial vault of the outstanding admirals of the Black Sea Fleet: Lasarev, Kornilov, Istomin and Nakhimov.
The second Cathedral is devoted to Prince Vladimir who was baptized in Chersonesos; in fact the Cathedral was built towards the Chersonesos area on the site where the Prince had been supposedly baptized. During World War II, the Cathedral suffered damage; you can see the bullet holes that still remain on the sides of the building.
Chersonesos National Archaeological Reserve
Chersonesos is an ancient colony, built in 422-421 BC; it turned from Greek to Roman to Byzantine. In XIII-XIV was ruined by some conquerors, in the middle of the XV century the city stopped existing. Nowadays, the remains of the city are one of the main attractions of Sevastopol; when visiting Chersonesos you must visit the city walls, the Amphitheatre, the Fog Bell, the Greek temple, and the Byzantine basilicas (including St. Vladimir's Cathedral). Apart from the historical attractions, you will also enjoy a great view of the Sevastopol Bay; there are also beautiful pebble and rocky beaches nearly.
It is not only a tourist attraction; it is also an important centre of culture in Ukraine and home of lots of scholars, archaeologists, historians, and specialists of related fields who are helping to restore the beauty of this ancient city.
The National Preserve of Tauric Chersonesos
Address: 1 Drevnyaya street, Sevastopol 99045
Telephone: +38 (0692) 550 278
Scuttled Ships Monument
It is one of the emblems of the Hero City of Sevastopol; the Monument is located in the Sevastopol Bay, 10 meters away from the seafront of the Seaside Boulevard. The monument, built in 1905, is devoted to the Russian sail ships sunken in the bay in September 1854 and February 1855 during the Crimean War in order to bar the entrance to the harbour for the naval ships of England, France, and Turkey.
The Monument consists of the artificial rock made up of rough boulders standing on a square base (9.2 x 9.2m). A hexahedral platform rises from the cliff and it is crowned with a Corinthian column of light-coloured diorite. On top of it there is a sculpture of a bronze eagle with extended wings facing the sea, the eagle holds in its beak a wreath of laurel. There’s an inscription on it: « In memory of the ships flooded in 1854-1855 to block the entry to the raid». The Memorial is 16.66 m in height.
The Black Sea Fleet Museum
Located in Sevastopol city centre at 11 Lenin Street, the Black Sea Fleet Museum was found in General Totleben's house on September 14, 1869; an especial building for the Museum was constructed in 1895 according to the project of the architect Kochetov. The museum is full of historic artefacts, maps, engravings, photos, documents, replica ships, and more items showing a detailed history of the Black Sea Fleet. There are also pictures of the artists I. K. Ayvazovskiy, F. A. Rubo, V. E. Makovskiy among others; for example, Aivazovskyi painted a picture representing the first bombardment of Sevastopol, other painting depicts the Malakhov Kurgan, and other depicts the floating bridge across the North Harbour also known as the large harbour.
Mangup or Mangup Kale is the largest cave city and fortress on the Crimean Peninsula; Mangup was built on the top of a 584 meter high limestone highland about 30 kilometres by road of Sevastopol. Mangup Kale remains as an impressive monument of the powerful Principality of Taurida, the most interesting sights include cave houses, fortifications, farmsteads, towers, churches and the Prince's castle; in medieval Mangup was known as Doros.
Visitors can get there by car or by small local buses.
The Kalamita Fortress
Kalamita is an interesting fortress of the Crimean middle ages, it was built in the 6th century and expanded in the 14th century; the fortress is located on the plateau of Monastyrskaya Skala in the town of Inkerman near Sevastopol. It was built as a strategic cliff top overlooking Inkerman and the bay. In 1433 the fortress was destroyed by the Genoese, However, after the Genoeses were defeated the fortress was quickly rebuilt. In 1475 the Ottoman Turks took the area and renamed it as Inkerman (which means "cave fortress"); it was abandoned by Turkish in the 18th century.
In the tower rock formations stands a Christian monastery, there are also two churches in this area: the Church of St Clement which was carved into the stone Cliffside in the form of an early Christian basilica and the Church of St. Martin which stands against the cliff.
Admiral Nakhimov Monument
The monument in memory to the Admiral Nakhimov (1802 - 1855) is located in the main square of downtown Sevastopol. The 6-meter bronze monument symbolizes the bravery and military valour of the Black Sea Fleet during the Crimean War.
The Admiral Nakhimov, a national hero, was one of the leaders during the defence of Sevastopol (1854-1855) in which he was mortally injured by an enemy sniper. The monument is located in a square at the beginning of the central part of Sevastopol.